Gusev Crystal Factory
Antique products of the Gusev Crystal Factory are known to almost every collector and connoisseur of antiquity. Such antiques date back to 1756, when the merchant A. Maltsov opened a crystal factory near the river Gus. Initially, only sixty people worked at the plant, but over time, Maltsov began to pay attention not only to the quality of the dishes made, but also to the improvement and expansion of production.
In addition to domestic materials, imported materials were delivered to the plant in large quantities. The production was equipped with the most modern instruments at that time. A specialized school of craftsmen was created at the plant, which made it possible to improve the quality of products.
The Gusevsky Crystal Factory produced a fairly wide range of products, but the main product of the production was colorless crystal, decorated with engraving and grinding. Over time, ancient glass products at the Gusevsky plant began to be painted with enamel. Manufactured products manufactured at the end of the eighteenth century were used to meet the needs of the middle and small merchants, officials and clergy. This feature of the orders also explained the choice of subjects when creating engraving.
The workers of the plant specialized in the production of carriage glasses, as well as various mirror “handicrafts”. The antiquities produced at the factory were popular and expensive. Mirror glass was often used to fulfill an old Russian custom – a gift to the bride from the groom. In addition, green and white glasses were created at the Gusevsky plant.
Gusevsky plant in the 19th century
In the period from the beginning to the middle of the nineteenth century, the production of lead crystal was established, which was in no way inferior to English. With the advent of new materials, the technique of decorating products has also changed. In the first place, instead of painting and engraving, faceting began to move forward, which made it possible to focus on the unique rainbow play and brilliance of crystal.
At that time, the factory produced not only antique dishes, but also bottle products, sheet glass and various crystal products. From the second quarter of the nineteenth century, much attention was paid to colored glass. Antique products of the Gusevsky plant have repeatedly taken part in manufactory exhibitions, being awarded gold medals for the quality of products. Production often received orders from the Court Department for the manufacture of sets for the imperial palaces.
The products of the plant were popular not only in the province, but also in all cities of Russia. In the production, crystal items were made for different circles of buyers. Since 1856, the Gusevsky plant began to specialize in the production of the simplest dishes – glasses, decanters, salt shakers, wine glasses, glasses, affordable for all people. The company has always responded to the trends of the era, quickly adopted and implemented technical and stylistic innovations that appeared in different countries of the world. Many products of the Gusevsky plant were purchased for museums and were often exported to Europe. At the turn of the nineteenth and the last century, the plant did not know equals in the variety of techniques and methods for decorating crystal products.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, domestic glassmaking experienced a deep crisis, but the Gusevsky plant, having survived industrial difficulties, still did not stop its work.
Products of the Gusev Crystal Factory