This monastery — the largest in Russia-is amazing because it is filled not with silence, but with a light hubbub. Tourists from all over the world sincerely hurry to take panoramic photos of the monastery. To capture themselves against the background of the Holy Trinity Cathedral, where the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh are kept. And next to the monastery is the holy spring, which was opened in the 17th century. It is said that on that day one of the monks immediately received a cure for blindness.
Ivan the Terrible and Peter the Great came here to pray. And even Tsarina Elizabeth Petrovna-she generally walked for several months, so important was this trip to her.
It is rumored that the recently deceased confessor of the monastery, Father Kirill, in the world of Pavlov, was “the same sergeant Pavlov”. He defended the famous house in Stalingrad. However, the deceased elder Father Kirill was still a namesake of “that” sergeant. Although he really went through the Patriotic War, and he also fought in Stalingrad.
In 1920, the monastery was closed. The monks were forced into hiding, and many of them were killed. Some found refuge in the Chernigov skete in the vicinity. St. Sergius Lavra then belonged to numerous postiche and a small monastery located nearby. After the Second World War, religious life in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra resumed.
Holy Trinity St. Sergius Lavra in Sergiev Posad
In 1919, the Soviet authorities decided to open the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh. They say that now we will prove to the people how the church authorities have embraced it. After all, everything in the coffin must have rotted away! They opened it and saw that the remains were still there. The priest Pavel Florensky recalled that those present suddenly felt a pleasant fragrance. And they were ordered to cover them with glass, thus making an exhibit for the anti-religious museum that opened in the Lavra.
By the way, there is a legend that on the eve of the autopsy, having learned about the upcoming action. Fearing that the imperishable remains would disappear. Several priests secretly pulled Sergius ‘ head out of the coffin. They replaced it with the head of Prince Trubetskoy. Which was taken from the family crypt on the territory of the Lavra. And they kept it in their homes — until, in 1946, the Lavra was given back to the church. At the same time, the head was also handed over, and everything returned to normal.
Sights of St. Sergius Lavra
On the territory of the Lavra is the burial place of the Godunov family. The shoe of the boyar’s daughter is kept in the local museum of local lore opposite. It was taken out when the burial was opened, the remains were examined. At the same time, by the way, they did not find Godunov’s head.
Crayfish with the relics of the Holy Spirit.
St. Sergius of Radonezh and St. Nikon of Radonezh (Trinity Cathedral).
Maximus the Greek and Prov. St. Anthony of Radonezh (Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit).
Svt. The Ioasaph, Metropolitan of Moscow St. Sergius.
Dionysius of Radonezh, and St. Nicholas.
Serapion, Archbishop of Novgorod, fragments of the relics of Svt.
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, First Martyr Archdeacon Stephen, vic.
Panteleimon, part of the belt of the Most Holy Theotokos, etc. shrines (Serapion’s Chamber).
Tikhvin and Chernihiv Icons of the Mother of God (Trinity Cathedral).
Icon of St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas (in the church of St. Nicholas). Sergius), etc.