The Raifa Bogoroditsky Monastery was founded on the spot where hieromonk Filaret, who came from Moscow to Kazan in 1613 made for himself a skit. In 1661, Metropolitan of Kazan Lavrenty blessed the base for monastery and in 1662 the construction began. Chronicle of major events published on the site of the monastery and a detailed history of the monastery can be read on website www.raifa.ru. Raithu Bogoroditsky monastery is the largest active monastery of the Kazan Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Raifa Bogoroditsky Monastery was founded in the 17th century by hermit Filaret. On the eve of the revolution in the monastery were up to 80 monks and novices. In 1918, the monastery was officially closed. In 1930, on charges of «counter-revolutionary, anti-Soviet activities», the last monks: Serge, Joseph, Anthony, Varlaam, Iov and novice Pyotr were arrested. The same year, they had all been shot (in 2000, the Russian Orthodox Church glorified them in venerated as martyrs of Raifa).
Attraction of the monastery are also silent frogs that do not croak near the monastery. According to legend, one day the monks of the Raifa Monastery asked God for mercy – to save them from the croaking of frogs, to prevent them from singing. A miracle happened – frogs fell silent. And silent to this day, although on the banks of the wonderful lake, where there is a monastery Raifa they are found in abundance. Many, including foreign scientists have tried to debunk this myth. French toads brought here – near the monastery walls fell silent. But a kilometer from the monastery they started to jump excitedly, and then poured in a loud booming croaking. Silence of frogs – a miracle faced by everyone coming to Raifa.