Russian Geographical Society and the TV channel “Russia-1” announced ten winners of the “Russia 10” project. The voting for Russia 10 heritage sites ended at noon on Sunday, October 6. The last vote, said the organizers of the contest “Russia 10”, came from the Perm Territory for Kungur ice cave, which ranked 27th, the Valley of Geysers (11th place), Baikal Amur poles (28th place) and the volcano Daddy (16th place). For just 195 days, organizers received more than 224.6 million votes. Architectural and natural sites that got in the top ten are placed here randomly, not by their places for voting, anyway they are 10 places which got most of voices. The main goal of the project, according to the organizers of the contest is to promote the image of Russia as a country with a rich cultural and natural heritage.
The Akhmad Kadyrov Mosque is located in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. It is the largest mosques in Russia. The mosque is named after Akhmad Kadyrov, the Chief Mufti of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria in the 1990s during and after the First Chechen War. The mosque design with a set of 62-metre (203 ft)-tall minarets is based on the Blue Mosque in İstanbul. On October 16, 2008, the mosque was officially opened in a ceremony in which Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov spoke and was with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. In this mosque, ten thousand Muslims can pray at a time
Kizhi is an island in the Republic of Karelia. Settlements and churches on the island were known from at least the 15th century. Open-air museum Kizhi is one of the first in Russia, which started functioning on the island in 1951 and currently contains about 87 wooden constructions. The most famous of them is the Kizhi Pogost, which contains two churches and a bell tower surrounded by a fence. The pogost was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1990.
Kolomna Kremlin is a very large fortress in Kolomna, Russia. The stone Kolomna Kremlin was built from 1525—1531 under the Russian Tsar Vasily III. Before its reconstruction in 1531, the Kolomna Kremlin was made of wood. On its territory there are many Russian churches and monasteries: The Uspensky cathedral, the Voskresenky church, the Spassky monastery (14th century), and a number of others
Lake Baikal is a rift lake in the south of the Russian region of Siberia, between the Irkutsk Oblast to the northwest and the Buryat Republic to the southeast. Lake Baikal is the most voluminous freshwater lake in the world, containing roughly 20% of the world’s unfrozen surface fresh water, and at 1,642 m (5,387 ft), the deepest. It is also among the clearest of all lakes, and thought to be the world’s oldest lake at 25 million years. It is the 7th largest lake in the world.
The State Museum Preserve Rostov Kremlin is situated on the territory of the unique architectural ensemble of the XVII century – Archbishop’s Yard. Five churches, three of them have wonderful frescoes of the XVII, some chambers with museum exhibitions are encircled with high walls and towers. The museum was founded in 1883 by antiquity lovers and sincere patriots of Rostov Shlyakov I.A. and Titov A.A. Now our museum collection possesses about 92000 exhibits. There are icons, oil paintings, wooden house-hold utensils, porcelain, archeological findings. The museum’s pride is the collection of enamels.
The Pskov Krom (or Pskov Kremlin) is an ancient citadel in Pskov, Russia. In the central part of the city, the Krom is located at the junction of the Velikaya River and smaller Pskova river. The citadel is of medieval origin, with the surrounding walls constructed starting in the late 1400s. The Krom was the administrative and spiritual centre of the Pskov Republic in the 15th century.
The Peterhof Palace is a series of palaces and gardens located in Saint Petersburg, Russia, laid out on the orders of Peter the Great. These Palaces and gardens are sometimes referred as the “Russian Versailles”. The palace-ensemble along with the city centre is recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin is a fortress in Nizhny Novgorod, the historic city center. The first attempt to replace the wooden fort on the stone Kremlin refers to 1374, but construction limited to only one tower, known as the Tower of Dmitrov (not survived to our time). Under the rule of Ivan III, Nizhny Novgorod plays the role of guard city, having a standing army, and serves as a place of military gathering troops on Moscow’s actions against Khanate of Kazan. In order to strengthen the defenses of the city, again begin the construction works of the walls.
The Motherland, or The Mamayev Monument, is a statue in Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia, commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad. It was designed by sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich and structural engineer Nikolai Nikitin, and declared the largest statue in the world in 1967. Compared with the later higher statues, The Motherland Calls is significantly more complex from an engineering point of view, due to its characteristic posture with a sword raised high in the right hand and the left hand extended in a calling gesture. The technology behind the statue is based on a combination of prestressed concrete with wire ropes structure, a solution which can be found also in another work of Nikitin’s, the super-tall Ostankino Tower in Moscow