The city gained worldwide fame thanks to the white-stone buildings of the 12th century. Vladimir was then at the main crossroads of the pillar roads of Russian history. Its early history is little known. There is a mention of the city in the Russian chronicles of 990, the foundation of the city is attributed to the Kiev prince Vladimir Svyatoslavich. The old man still lives in small islands in Vladimir and each of them has its own history.
Not far from the Golden Gate in Kutkin Lane (now Gogol Street) is the Church of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Church of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the only Catholic church not only in Vladimir, but in the entire Vladimir region.
After the suppression of the uprising against the rule of the Russian Empire on the territory of the Kingdom of Poland and the Western Region in 1863-1864. in Vladimir, a military court commission was created, which decided questions about the further fate of the Polish rebels. She tried the participants in the uprising and distributed them to prison companies in other provinces of Russia.
As a result, a fairly large group of the Polish Catholic population was concentrated in Vladimir for this period. In addition, a Polish-Lithuanian regiment consisting of Catholics was transferred from the territory of the Russian part of Poland to the city. The service for Catholics in Vladimir was conducted in a “rented house for worship.” The service was conducted by the Master of Theology, priest Moniuszko from the Nizhny Novgorod Roman Catholic Church.
The city’s Catholics submitted a petition to the provincial construction company for the allocation of a plot of land for the construction of a chapel (chapel). It was decided to call the Roman Catholic Church the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. Funds were collected for the construction of the church in all Roman Catholic parishes of the Russian Empire. The soldiers of the Polish-Lithuanian army also participated in fundraising.
The construction of the chapel began in 1892 and was completed in the first months of 1894.
The architects of the project were A.P. Afanasyev and I.A. Karabutov. The chapel was consecrated as a branch of the Nizhny Novgorod parish in honor of the Holy Rosary of the Mother of God.
The church received this name from the Catholic rosary and the holiday, which is celebrated by believers on October 7. Less than 10 years after its consecration, the chapel was elevated to the rank of an independent parish of Vladimir.
The building consists of 3 parts: the main volume, the altar and the bell tower.
The main building of the church is one-story with a gable roof, windows and small turrets from the west. There is a high tiered tower in front of the entrance to the temple. Its facade in the lower part is divided by blades (flat and narrow projections of the wall) into 3 spiers (a section of the fortress wall between 2 towers), on the average there is a rosette. Above days arcature-columnar belt. The upper tier is made in one strand with large windows and is crowned with a low tent. All windows are lancet arched.
The toothed-Gothic top and spire of the church, the elegant house of the priest (Catholic priest), the fence are made in the same style and fit perfectly into the city view.
In Soviet times, the church was considered a monument of revolutionary history.
In the building of the church in 1905-1907. the soldiers of the Vladimir garrison organized illegal gatherings under the guise of believers. But on December 25, 1930, a decision was made “On the liquidation of the Roman Catholic Church in Vladimir”. Since 1939, the church bell tower has been used as a radio transmitter. In the 1970s. the whole ensemble as a whole was used as an exhibition hall.
Since 1978, the Catholic Church of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary has been considered a monument of history and culture: “a monument in the pseudo-Gothic style of the 19th century an example of a Catholic building is a rarity for the Vladimir region.” In 1992, the building was returned to the Church. In 1996, the priest’s house adjacent to the church was returned to the parish. Now the object of the cultural heritage of the Russian Federation is the church itself, the house of the priest and the fence of the complex. Organ concerts are currently held here.