Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Valishchevo near Podolsk
The village of Valishchevo is located not far from the city of Podolsk, Moscow Region by the Rozhaka River. The name “Valishchevo” comes from the surname or nickname “Valische”. The attraction of the village of Valishchevo is the temple of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In the chronicles of the 17th century, there is a mention that in 1627 on the Korytinsky churchyard there was the Assumption Church, which was dilapidated and collapsed. In 1647, a new temple was built, which lasted until 1790. Later, a wooden church was erected, which burned down in 1897. In January 1900, Metropolitan Vladimir of Moscow blessed the construction of a new church in the village of Valishchevo. For the foundation of the temple, a white stone for the foundation was mined from a specially dug hole.
During the construction of the new stone church, a wooden church was erected.
Much credit goes to the church head I.S. Kochetov, who collected new church utensils and money for a new bell. Initially, the project of the temple was carried out by the architect L.A. Kherson, but later a new project was approved by the architect S.M. Zharov. The construction of the temple began in 1907 and continued until 1919.
The Assumption Church of red brick, decorated with white stone ornamentation, was built in the traditions of Russian architecture of the 17th century 5 graceful domes, a tiered tent-roofed bell tower. The building of the temple is a quadrangle with an apse, two side chapels, a vestibule and a bell tower. The walls of the quadrangle have arched niches with paired windows, and the walls of the side-chapels with 3 arched windows are framed by platbands.
There were about 10 bells on the belfry (the largest one weighed 110 pounds). A boiler room was installed in the basement of the temple, and the wooden floor of the temple was heated from a special air duct. The interior of the temple was decorated with oil painting (individual images and fragments have survived to this day).
The temple has 3 chapels: the central one in honor of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos, the northern one in honor of St. Paraskeva Friday, the southern one in honor of the Nativity of John the Baptist.