On the territory of the Dmitrov Kremlin, the most ancient structure is the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin – this is the only thing that has survived from the Middle Ages, in addition to the earthen rampart. In 2014, a rose garden was laid out on one side of the Assumption Cathedral, and an apple orchard on the other. Dmitrov has always been famous for apples. There is a legend that according to the decree of Peter I at the beginning of the 18th century 638 apple tree seedlings were taken out of Dmitrov to plant them on the streets of St. Petersburg.
In 1876, the first Dmitrov women’s gymnasium (4 junior grades) was built on the territory of the Kremlin.
At that time, there were about 10 such educational institutions in Russia. This gymnasium marked the beginning of the formation of the educational system of Dmitrovsky district. The gymnasium was built by order of Alexander II and girls from the most noble families of the city studied there. The first head of the gymnasium was Alexandra Nikolaevna Pomerantseva.
The prestige of education was supported by the high level of education received within these walls. In 1891, the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich and his wife visited Dmitrov’s gymnasium – this was a significant event for the city. In 1906, the gymnasium was transformed into a full gymnasium with an eight-year course of study. 198 girls studied there. Every year the popularity of the gymnasium increased and the number of female students increased. In 1915, according to the project of the architect S.K. Rodionov, a new gymnasium was built on the basis of the old building of the gymnasium.
This gymnasium is the only example of a neoclassical public building in Dmitrov. The gymnasium building stands opposite the Assumption Cathedral, which faces the central entrance with the Ionic portico and small smooth projections.
Dmitrov gymnasium was financed from the city budget. In Soviet times, the building retained its original purpose, only girls and boys already studied here. During the Great Patriotic War, in the building of the gymnasium, then it was a school, the headquarters of the 1st Shock Army was located under the leadership of General Vasily Kuznetsov. In the winter of 1942, school resumed.
Near the gymnasium there is a monument to the pupils of the gymnasium №1 in Dmitrov, who died during the Great Patriotic War.
After the war, the building housed a school, the House of Pioneers, and exhibition halls of the museum. In the 90s. of the last century, it was decided to revive old traditions and the Logos gymnasium was opened. Currently, the Dmitrov municipal gymnasium “Logos” is one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Dmitrov.
In 2003, on the central part of Kropotkinskaya Street, a sculptural ensemble “Citizens” was installed, here a gymnasium teacher is in a hurry to take classes.
The location of the gymnasium on the territory of the Dmitrov Kremlin determines its important role in the history of the city and the country as a whole.