Almost all of the capital’s estates have suffered greatly in their history. They have endured fires, wars, and the proletarian hatred of the Soviet regime. The Vorontsovo estate in Moscow also felt all the pricks of the time. She saw the social events of the grand dukes’ close associates, robberies, fires, the communal apartment of the Red Guards, the organization of a biological station at its base. Here they invented a secret weapon – a balloon against Napoleon’s army.
Despite everything, the Vorontsovo estate in Moscow has surprisingly preserved the beauty and atmosphere of the Italian and Chinese gardens. Compared to Kuskovo and Tsaritsyno, its area is small – only 40 hectares. At the same time, everything is compactly located in the park in order to have a good weekend: attractions for children, a cascade of ponds, and the estate itself will appeal to everyone who is interested in the history of the Russian Baroque. Her second name is Careless, which she received in the 18th century, as if hinting that she must live here and now.
Vorontsovo estate. History
The history of the Vorontsovo estate goes back many centuries. According to legend, the first owner of this land was the boyar Fyodor Voronets, who lived in the 14th century. Then the estate went to Tsar Ivan III, who gave it from the master’s shoulder to his son Vasily III. During the Time of Troubles, the village of Vorontsovo was burned down. Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich handed over the land to his favorite, Prince Boris Repnin. However, soon as a result of court intrigues, Prince Repnin was removed from Moscow, and Vorontsovo began to wither.
The village was revived by an associate of Peter I, Nikita Repnin, who built a wooden manor house and outbuildings, laid out a garden. For more than a hundred years, the estate passed from hand to hand, until at the beginning of 1812 at the Vorontsovo base they decided to make a base for creating a secret military apparatus.
The author of the idea was the German inventor Franz Leppich, he proposed to the Russian Tsar Alexander I the idea of a balloon filled with gunpowder and acid. Like, he will be a good answer to the Napoleonic army. The balloon was created by 150 workers – blacksmiths, mechanics, seamstresses and carpenters, but when Napoleon entered Moscow, the weapon was not yet ready. Leppikh’s enterprise was transported to Nizhny Novgorod.
The parts and the body of the “air gondola” remaining in Vorontsovo were burned.
In 1813, the inventor continued to build a balloon in St. Petersburg, but he did not manage to lift his invention into the air. By the way, the balloon is mentioned in Tolstoy’s novel “War and Peace”: Pierre Bezukhov is going to go to Vorontsovo to see the miracle weapon in person.
In 1918, the new authorities decided to use Vorontsovo to house the state farm. The furnishings of the manor house and dachas were plundered, and the Red Army men settled on the territory of Vorontsovo. After the Great Patriotic War, a biological station was kept here. The estate received the status of a monument of gardening art only in 1979.
What to see
At the entrance to the estate from the side of Academician Pilyugin Street, two giants survived, which are more than 250 years old. You touch them – and your heart skips with delight, it seems that under their shadow, even the master’s daughters were confessed in love.
Front entrance ensemble
All the main architectural beauties are located on the side of Architect Vlasov Street: arched gates, “humpbacked” bridge, watchtowers. In fact, the entrance to the estate is a “Turkish fortress” in miniature, it reminds of Repnin’s feat during the Russian-Turkish war: on June 28, 1791, the field marshal won the last battle on the banks of the Danube and took the city of Machin.
Cascade of ponds
Spring waters are collected in the Big pond, and then descend from it into small ones located below. In 2005, this complex system was restored, the banks of the ponds were strengthened and their bottom cleaned. Now there are many fishermen, a boat station and catamarans for rent. Photos on a catamaran against the background of blooming beauty are very picturesque, a great option if you miss the likes on Instagram.
Labyrinths are located in the western part of the park, among them there are both destroyed ones, from which only stones remain, and forest ones, where you can play with children. The largest of them existed in the 18th century, mentions of it have survived in the archival plans of the estate. In addition to the “authentic” puzzle, the park has a stone and serpentine labyrinth with an observation deck.